This page last updated January 20th 2014
Latest update: Model photo in 7mm
The Selsey Railmotors were not truck conversions, but purpose built by Edmonds of Thetford, Norfolk, with delivery to Selsey around 1924. There are photographs of the units at Tenterden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway, prior to delivery to Selsey. The pair of railmotors was delivered with a baggage trailer coupled between them. This is believed to have been built by Messrs. Crane of Dereham, also in Norfolk. It is believed that this truck was transferred to the K&ESR in later years.
A photograph Shropshire and Montgomeryshire three car set was published in the local Chichester newspaper with the caption that this set was to be delivered to the Selsey Tramways, but of course a two car set was delivered. Interestingly there is a photograph of the S&M central passenger trailer at the Selsey on the back siding, in the middle of a group of derelict stock.
A unique variant on the Selsey Tramways was the use of the Ford and Shefflex railmotors back to back!
The kit will be as complete as possible per our usual specification and although transfers are not required, we will produce what is required for the freelance builder, or those with modeller's licence!
The product will be available from us, first in 7mm and when the design has been established with a test build, a 4mm vesion will be produced. The 7mm test build is current, with product availability latter in 2010.
Click on this link to see photographs of the 7mm test build and the test etches.
Photo and Model: W.B. Kelsall made from S&T kit, 7mm Scale
The kit will be available in a variety of combinations to suit modellers' requirements and imagination:
7mm Kit specification is planned as follows:
· Etched brass in 0.3mm (12thou), 0.5mm (20thou) and 0.125mm (5 thou)
· Body construction with etched detail overlays
· Nickel-silver chassis
· Internal detailing - this is in the form of simple etches for seating, driver's seat etc.
· Other etched details include wheel overlays, brackets, springs etc.; there being a total of some 60+ parts in the kit without multiple counting, for items 1-3 above
· Castings for engine housing and mudguards
· Wire, screws, glazing, etc.
· Comprehensive instructions with drawings and photographs of the prototype are included, including on CD
Please note, due to the very small size of the model, and the fact
that it is of a very open glazed construction,motorisation will be an issue. There may be a number
of ways to motorise this kit and we are not putting forward ideas or
recommending systems, as there are major changes in the (parts) market place at
the moment and products available today may not be available tomorrow.
The kit has therefore been developed as a rolling chassis, and as part of our bespoke customer service we will etch free of charge our standard chassis (and any other required items?) with cut-outs etc. to suit the modeller's specific requirement.
We have however designed the floor and chassis with a removeable central section to facilitate motorisation.
7mm Kit prices as follows:
· Pair of Railmotors A$310.00
· Pair of Railmotors + Baggage Trailer A$366.00
· Pair of Railmotors + Passenger Trailer A$390.00
· Prices include air mail; sea reduction available
· Full terms and conditions click
For narrow gauge (freelance) specification, contact us with your requirement. It may be that the kit will be suitable for your gauge as it is - due to the design of the prototype - or we could offer an alternative chassis.